Christmas is fast approaching, so we thought we’d take a look at some of the more environmentally-friendly gifts available this year:
1. Duffy’s Lucky Escape – Perfect for educating the younger generation on the dangers of ocean plastics. The story centres around Duffy the sea turtle, the relationship between humans and wildlife; as well as the dangers turtles face in their own natural habitats due to ocean plastics. You can buy a copy from the Duffy the Sea Turtle website, here.
2. Surfers Against Sewage ‘Plastic Free Bundle’ £60 – This is a great bundle that includes loads of every day essentials, including a Bamboo Toothbrush, 4 Reusable Stainless Steel Straws, a 100% Cotton Tote Bag, Reusable Bamboo Coffee Cup, Stainless Steel Reusable Water Bottle, Reusable Bamboo Cutlery Set, Coconut Scrub Pad and 50 Envelope Reuse Labels. You can order the bundle from the Surfers Against Sewage website here.
3. Mason jar filled with homemade treats – Homemade gifts require a special touch and a little more effort, which is why they are so nice to receive! A great gift idea is to buy a glass mason jar and fill it with homemade treats such as gingerbread cookies or peppermint creams or even homemade chutney – perfect for Christmas time!
4. Ethical clothing – Being stylish doesn’t need to come at an environmental price, we talked about ethical fashion on our ‘How to Follow Fashion AND Reduce our Fashion Footprint’ blog here. If you’re thinking of giving someone a fashionable gift this Christmas have a look at ethical clothing brands such as People Tree or Komodo. There are even some great second-hand selling sites such as com and Vinted.co.uk where you can snap up some great fashion bargains!
5. For the tech-savvy friend, why not consider something like the Ecobeat, Eco Friendly Portable Cube Speaker? Handcrafted from natural bamboo, the speaker is portable, rechargeable and has an integrated handsfree capability – and it even arrives in Eco-friendly packaging. That’s music to our ears! The Ecobeat is available for £49 from notonthehighstreet.com.
6. If there’s someone you’d like to pamper with some new beauty products, take a look at the great, pocket-friendly range from Burt’s Bees. There is a great range of natural and sustainable skincare products available on the Burt’s Bees website to suit all budgets.
7. Charity gifts – what could be better than giving a gift that can have a positive impact on the environment or someone else’s life. At APE we work tirelessly all year round to make a difference, you can help by donating monthly, annually or even make a one-off gift donation via the Artists Project Earth website here.
Lastly, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank al of our friends and supporters over the last year. We wish you all a very Merry Christmas!